Aug 30, 2026

All shades of silence

I was listening to Katharsis again recently and passed by their short split release with Antaeus, released in 2009 and right before the end of the band’s glorious journey in black metal. It was out in February that year, a few months prior to the amazing final EP, Fourth Reich, when the curtains dropped for one of the genre’s most hard-hitting entities at the time. 

A lot has already been written about the main albums of their discography, as well as more generally when writing related articles, which are all focused on full-length releases of bands or movements at certain time periods. I’ve done so myself as well, intimidated by the sheer amount of material out there if you consider every EP, demo or split that gets pressed today. 

Nevertheless, a few split releases always stand out over the years. I tried to limit myself to cases of just two featured bands, not more, and also looked at duration lengths similar with those of a full-length, at least 25 - 30 minutes or more. This is a crude listing of the quickest examples of this category that came to mind, and I’m sure there’s so many that could be added. Let’s get into it.


Arckanum & Svartsyn - Kaos svarta mar / Skinning the Lambs

Summer 2004, Carnal Records


I’ve talked about both these artists in the past, as I always feel the don’t get nearly the recognition and they deserve. Look at how many gems remain hidden in their back catalogs! 

At the time of release, Arckanum were going through a decade-long gap between full-length albums from Kampen (1998) in what would prove to be a later series of masterpieces in the late ‘00s, in the form of Antikosmos in 2008, and of course, ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ in 2009. 

Ornias of Svartsyn was already blackened by the gunpowder of Destruction of Man (2003), and was fueling his next assault that would follow a year later, Bloodline. A really great moment for a masterful, groundbreaking split, right?

How well these two bands fit in the same release, as well as how striking the memorability of the tracks they included in it, is a black metal wonder. The split feels archaic, authentically dark, and full of top-notch frostbitten melodies that make impossible to not be amazed by if you’re into black metal.

I appreciate the direct first track by Arckanum, as well as his shamanistic side in moments of “Ætergap”, “Frana” and “Spitælsker”. Start the whole split from the track “Skinning the Lambs” by Svartsyn, if you want a sample of peak riff work, structure and echoed devilish vocals. 

The middle-paced tempo on "Blåkullaförbannelsen" is haunting, and both "A Night Created by the Shadows" and "Furnace in Purgatory" are awesome, explosive tracks. You know what they say: if you like this, you like this genre, if not, then you don’t.

 

Drudkh & Paysage d'Hiver - Somewhere Sadness Wanders / Schnee (IV)

Summer 2017, Season of Mist Underground Activists 

 
In my article about Paysage d'Hiver's compilation Schnee (which I own original, a marvelous piece of art), I referred to their split with Drudkh as "a breathtaking mini-album also for a different post". 
 
Firstly, it only took six years for that post to arrive, and secondly, I'm not sure why I called it a "mini-album", since this split is a good 40 minutes in duration. Long for full-length / split standards, but maybe a common day at the office for the specific artists included.
 
Drudkh's side includes two tracks of evocative atmospheric black metal with pristine sound, inspired by and borrowing their lyrics from Ukrainian poems, as the band has done at different occasions in the past. Their classic guitar charge is here, especially shining through the great riffs of the second piece, "The Night Walks Towards Her Throne". 
 
The introductory "All Shades of Silence" includes stripped down ambient that cuts the track in half, separating the composition into distinct sections. For the likes of Drudkh, there's considerable outward-driven energy into these tunes, which is a stark difference compared to the 20-minute track of icy black metal that follows.
 
Paysage d'Hiver does what it always does, laying down long-form ambient black metal textures of the eternal winter in this piece. Repetitive even for the project's standards, it slowly grows into something more grandiose as the composition progresses, but it never turns its back on the outmost austere identity of Wintherr. If you let this play and close your eyes, it somehow absorbs its surroundings and you become one with it.

Unlike Arckanum and Svartsyn, this collaboration would have been harder to see coming, yet I imagine it happened after internal communication and respect of the two sides towards each other. I'm drawn to these sounds as much as the average man - isn't this artistic acumen recognized everywhere?
 
Co-released with Kunsthall Produktionen. While you're here, check out a recent, relevant post about Nordlicht.
 

Pan-Amerikan Native Front & Kommodus - Immortal Ceremonies

Spring 2021, Goatowarex

 
There are many options I could choose from this group of bands, but I'm going with the one I'm most familiar with. This is specifically due to the involvement of Pan-Amerikan Native Front, a project whose full length albums are held in quite a high regard on Arson Cafe.
 
Immortal Ceremonies is a partnership between the aforementioned and the infamous project Kommodus, which I discovered with the demo An Imperial Sun Rises in 2019, and have loved ever since. Both names have excellent recording threads so far, and have managed to maintain a sort of contained audience in the underground. 
 
A middle-paced, epic riff starts on the first track, "Sacrifices To Jupiter", that immediately recalls of Rotting Christ (yes), but quickly gets dragged in the American indigenous mud, with the guaranteed personal touch of Lepidus Plague himself. Variation of tempos, ancient black metal guitar riffs alongside a hostile vocal reverberation, including several compositional twitches to make this material even more clearly above average.
 
My favorite track here is "To Wrestle With Angels", because it combines Kommodus' vision all the more evidently. Usage of acoustics, distorted unique melodies from the characteristic middle section halt towards the glorious end of the track, as well as the main, harsher but always melodic guitar lines, it somehow manages to sound aggressive and pained at the same time.

Pan-Amerikan Native Front start off with ringing bells and a military-paced track "Kiva Flames of Rebellion", then unfold further on "Hasan'owane Breathe of Remonstration". It's an anti-Christian track with lyrics taken from the speech of Sagoyewatha, a.k.a. The Red Jacket, in 1805 - remonstration meaning a forceful expression of opposition.

Amazing acoustic guitars end the split at its final track, "Washani Stones of Resurrection", another anti-colonial piece with great references to learn, especially for one unaware of this history. Doesn't it blend marvelously with such high quality of black metal?
 

 

A few more for your ears only: 

 
These are five more splits that I considered, and would perfectly fit, for this article. I don't want to say much about neither of these, in case we discuss them later on, somewhere in the next six years again. 
  • Antediluvian & Adversarial - Initiated in Impiety as Mysteries (2012) | Would this count as a death metal release, for a change?
  • Ash Borer & Fell Voices (2010) | Quintessential recording right at the time of bloom of Cascadian black metal, by two of its most proficient projects.
  • Moonblood & Deathspell Omega - Sob a Lua do Bode / Demoniac Vengeance (2000) | The first that came to mind, but I've already talked about it.
  • Necromantia & Varathron - The Black Arts / The Everlasting Sins (1992) | The best among the classics, and that comes from someone who's more into the Scandinavian than the Greek sound.
  • Revenant Marquis & Lamp of Murmuur (2020) | Raw black metal, another solid take by fresh blood infidels.

1 comment: