Sunday, June 30, 2024

Kvaen - The Formless Fires

 
I had slept on this band. I saw Kvaen live last year and the performance blew me away, as I was not aware of the significantly above average musicianship and ideas contained in their previous record The Great Below. I got even more into them with their debut The Funeral Pyre, and became a fan basically right after that live show. 
 
Top-notch guitar lines, amazing solos and blasting melodic black metal patterns right out of Sweden's heart, The Formless Fires points fingers at legends like Necrophobic, Naglfar and Dark Funeral, but it has its own sound at the same time. I clearly prefer the fast paced moments of the album compared to the slower ones, but it's all in all very decent. 
 
The guitar work is once again a highlight for them, and it's a must for the fans. Hopefully the addition to a much bigger label like Metal Blade will give Kvaen the exposure they deserve. This album doesn't hold back at all.

Listen to  

No comments:

Post a Comment