Thursday, September 05, 2013

Youtube Sessions (IV)


Megadeth - Rust In Peace
1990, Capitol Records

To end the Metallica/Megadeth comparisons forever, I think this album is better than anything both Megadeth and Metallica have ever released. The band's best tracks are in here, back when Mustaine focused on the music and not on becoming the next president.

Kreator - Coma of Souls
1990, Noise Records

This is Kreator at its best. Maybe one of their best albums and one of the best thrash metal albums in general. It is a band that has stayed great all these years, but this album was astonishing when it was released, and it still is to this day. The german-accent of English sounds pretty rad as well. Coma of Souls is a thrash masterpiece that has proved itself with time and it is a must for anyone into the scene. Go buy it.

Agalloch - The Mantle
2002, The End Records

A band with a great discography in their eighteen year carreer that has strongly influenced many bands that later followed the same style, and The Mantle is them at their peak. A milestone for atmospheric/dark metal (if that describes what they play) full of ethereal passages with dreary vocals, melancholic acoustic guitars, solid riffs.

In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Fading
2011, Century Media Records

I was never a fan of this band, I only appreciate their early days for their contribution the the good side of melodic death metal (even though they are responsible for a big part of the shitty one too). Still, I think this as a Century Media-driven, soft, mainstream record with nothing special in it. His voice is clear and sadly, I can understand the lyrics, it's a nightmare.

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
2011, Metal Blade Records

In their recent albums, Amon Amarth have added a lot of heavy metal elements in their music. This album is good nonetheless, I really like Johan's vocals and the powerful riffs and solos. Destroyer of the Universe has a really strong chorus that perfectly describes the band's best music, and no, I don't think covering Aerials was a bad idea. I hate the original song anyway.

Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
2004, Epic Records

I came across this album when I was young, back when I started looking into anything that has to with metal. That's why it's my favourite album by them, judging from the fact that I only like specific songs of their discography. Groove on.

Disturbed - The Lost Children
2011, Reprise Records

The same problem that I had with In Flames above, annoying modern metal equal to garbage. Nothing to listen to here.

Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies
2006, Roadrunner Records

I admire this band, on some extent, when they first started playing, they had the enthusiasm, the talent, the originality. This one is a poor album though, and what came later made the situation worse. I won't be listening to it again. It is generally a band I have problems with,  but sometimes like listening to for a few minutes or something. This album is the least attractive to me.

Tenacious D - Tenacious D
2001, Epic Records

I love Jack Black. I love the music of Tenacious D, despite being ridiculous at many moments. Listen to Karate, Fuck Her Gently, Wonderboy, Tribute, Explosivo and you'll get my point. It's true that they owe their popularity to their success (!?) in various movies, but still some of their songs are really entertaining and it reminded me of the randomness of Bloodhound Gang.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
1970, Warner Bros. Records

No comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment